Monday, March 10, 2008

MAC and no cheese

For some unexplainable reason, I was wondering how I would go about manually changing the MAC address of my wireless network card. I was just curious if it could be done incase I ever happened to go to a hotel that charges $13/day/laptop, and I didn't want to spend $26/day in addition to the hundreds of dollars already being spent.

My research revealed that you could theoretically signup for the internet service with one laptop, then change the macaddress on the second laptop so that the hosting service doesn't know the difference. The one problem that I might someday theoretically run into is that perhaps the hypothetical service always issues the same IP address to the laptop with the recognized mac address. That would mean that while both computers could both connect to isp, only one can do it at a time. That would be ok, right? Better than $26/day, should the situation ever arise.

If this were to ever come up, I would search google for a means of changing the mac address when the NIC properties doesn't allow for it. Maybe I'd find a program called MACSHIFT to help out. We may never know.

I believe the moral of the story is: pack a router.

No comments: